Bladderwort is a submersed free-floating plant. There are approximately 200 species in the world, ranging in size from a few inches to several feet long. Tiny bladders attached to the leaves trap and digest very tiny animals.
All bladderwort species are rootless. They have main stems from which lacy, often complex leaves grow. Bladderwort flowers are usually bright yellow (sometimes lavender, depending on species); the flowers have two 'lip-like' petals of about equal size. Flowers are on long stalks that emerge several inches above the water. The carnivorous bladders are attached at regular intervals along the linear leaf segments.
There are several options to control Bladderwort.
- Use a season long herbicide such as Sonar™ A.S.. One treatment treats Bladderwort and many other common pond weeds for the season.
- Use a broad spectrum contact herbicide, such as Ultra PondWeed Defense®, will quickly kill Bladderwort. Because it does not stay in the water body, multiple treatments may be needed throughout the season.
Chemical Application Best Practices
Anytime you use chemicals treat weeds and algae, please keep in mind the following:
- Treat your pond in sections. Treat only half the pond's surface at a time, if the weather is hot, only treat 1/4-1/3 of your pond. Wait 10-14 days between treatments.
- Once the weeds have browned & died, use a weed cutter & rake to remove as much dead material as possible. This prevents an accumulation of dead plant material and muck.
- Take a proactive approach to pond management. Use PondClear™, MuckAway™ and Pond Dye to keep your pond looking great. For more information, see our article on the Airmax® Ecosystem™
Ask an Expert
If you are unable to identify your pond weed(s) using our Weed ID Guide, follow this article to email us a photo.
Pond Logic® Ultra PondWeed Defense® Aquatic HerbicideBroad Spectrum Pondweed Control Fast Acting Liquid Formula Short Term Control Of Duckweed Pond Logic ® Ultra Pondweed Defense ® works on pond weeds including submerged, floating and emergent weeds. It may be used for short term control of...Read More »$49.99–$149.99