Curly Leaf Pondweed
Curly Leaf Pondweed leaves are somewhat stiff and crinkled, resembling lasagna noodles. They are approximately 1/2" wide and 2-3 inches long. The leaves are arranged alternately around the stem. They become denser at the end of branches. Curly Leaf Pondweed can be confused with Clasping Leaf Pondweed.
Other Names: Crispy Leaved Pondweed, Crisped Pondweed
Pond Dye can be used to limit sunlight into the pond. With reduced sunlight, photosynthesis cannot occur so growth will be stunted.
There are several options to control Curly Leaf Pondweed:
- Use a season long herbicide such as Sonar™ A.S.. One treatment treats Curly Leaf Pondweed and many other common pond weeds for the season.
- Use a broad spectrum contact herbicide, such as Ultra PondWeed Defense®, will quickly kill Curly Leaf Pondweed. Because it does not stay in the water body, multiple treatments may be needed throughout the season.
- Use Clipper™, a fast and selective herbicide that controls tough invasive and nuisance aquatic plants.
Chemical Application Best Practices
Anytime you use chemicals treat weeds and algae, please keep in mind the following:
- Treat your pond in sections. Treat only half the pond's surface at a time, if the weather is hot, only treat 1/4-1/3 of your pond. Wait 10-14 days between treatments.
- Once the weeds have browned & died, use a weed cutter & rake to remove as much dead material as possible. This prevents an accumulation of dead plant material and muck.
- Take a proactive approach to pond management. Use PondClear™, MuckAway™ and Pond Dye to keep your pond looking great. For more information, see our article on the Airmax® Ecosystem™
Ask an Expert
If you are unable to identify your pond weed(s) using our Weed ID Guide, follow this article to email us a photo.
Hydrothol® Granular Aquatic Algaecide & HerbicideFast-Acting Granular Formula Great For Bottom Growing Algae & Chara Control Weeds Surrounding Docks & Shorelines Hydrothol ® Granular algaecide and herbicide for ponds provides rapid-acting contact control for submerged weeds and algae....Read More »$119.99
Pond Logic® Ultra PondWeed Defense® Aquatic HerbicideBroad Spectrum Pondweed Control Fast Acting Liquid Formula Short Term Control Of Duckweed Pond Logic ® Ultra Pondweed Defense ® works on pond weeds including submerged, floating and emergent weeds. It may be used for short term control of...Read More »$49.99–$149.99
Aquathol® Aquatic HerbicidesEliminate Submerged Weeds Available in Liquid or Granular Formulas Great For Use In Turbid Ponds Aquathol ® aquatic herbicide effectively eliminates a wide variety of submerged weeds. As potency is unaffected by surrounding organics, Aquathol...Read More »$139.99–$329.99