Sago Pondweed is a perennial plant that arises from thickly matted rhizomes and has no floating leaves. The stems are thin, long and highly branching with leaves very thin and filament-like, about 1/16 of an inch wide and 2 to over 12 inches long tapering to a point. The leaves grow in thick layers and originate from a sheath. The fruit of Sago Pondweed is nut-like 1/8 to 1/4 inches long and 1/10 to 1/8 inches wide.
Pond Dye can be used to limit sunlight into the pond. With reduced sunlight, photosynthesis cannot occur so growth will be stunted.
There are several options to control Sago Pondweed:
- Use a season long herbicide such as Sonar™ A.S.. One treatment treats Sago Pondweed and many other common pond weeds for the season.
- Use a broad spectrum contact herbicide, such as Ultra PondWeed Defense®, will quickly kill Sago Pondweed. Because it does not stay in the water body, multiple treatments may be needed throughout the season.
- Use Clipper™, a fast and selective herbicide that controls tough invasive and nuisance aquatic plants.
Chemical Application Best Practices
Anytime you use chemicals treat weeds and algae, please keep in mind the following:
- Treat your pond in sections. Treat only half the pond's surface at a time, if the weather is hot, only treat 1/4-1/3 of your pond. Wait 10-14 days between treatments.
- Once the weeds have browned, use a rake to remove as much dead material as possible. This prevents an accumulation of dead plant material and muck.
- Treat your pond with the proactive approach to pond management. Use PondClear™, MuckAway™ and Pond Dye to keep your pond looking great.
Pond Logic® Ultra PondWeed Defense® Aquatic HerbicideAs low as: $49.99
Aquathol® Aquatic HerbicidesAs low as: $139.99
SePRO Sonar™ A.S. Aquatic HerbicideAs low as: $229.99
Valent® Clipper™ Aquatic HerbicideAs low as: $229.99