A: We talk a lot about the importance of aeration – and for good reason. Aeration with the Airmax Aeration System, which involves diffusing oxygen into the water below the surface, benefits the quality of your pond or lake in myriad ways, including these top five reasons:
- Reduces Pond Muck: Aeration cuts the nutrient load, like pond muck and other decomposing debris, in your pond. How? The increased oxygen and water movement provided by aeration helps to encourage the colonization of beneficial aerobic bacteria. These bacteria are responsible for digesting and preventing muck and nutrient accumulation.
- Boosts Oxygen Levels: Aeration also increases the amount of oxygen in your lake's water. Beneath the water surface, the diffuser plates release tiny bubbles of oxygen. They disperse and circulate throughout the water column, providing life-sustaining O2 to beneficial bacteria, fish and submerged plants.
- Eliminates Thermocline: Aeration circulates the water and eliminates thermocline, which is a stratified layer of water between the warmer, surface zone and the colder, deep-water zone. Bottom diffuser aeration churns and mixes those temperature layers. The tiny air bubbles force the cooler oxygen-starved water to the pond's surface where it becomes infused up with O2. The warmer, oxygen-rich water then drops down, fueling the beneficial bacteria.
- Improves Water Quality: By reducing the pond muck, increasing oxygen and circulating the water column, your water quality will improve. You'll see less organic debris, clearer water, and happier, well fish.
- Reduces Winter Fishkill: Aeration also protects your game fish in the winter. As organic debris decomposes in your pond, gases are released into the water column. These gases become trapped when your pond freezes over, which reduces the amount of clean oxygen. If enough oxygen is displaced, your fish will suffocate. Running an aerator pumps fresh O2 in the water while maintaining a hole in the ice for gas exchange.
Ideally, an aeration system should be matched to your pond's size and shape, and run all season. If you need some assistance with planning a system that is properly sized for your pond, let us help with our free aeration mapping service and we will guarantee the results.