Water Lettuce is a non-native, perennial plant. It is free floating with green, velvety leaves. The leaves range in size from 1" - 6".
There are several options to control Water Lettuce. If you are not sure what treatment is right for your pond? Click here to view our product selection guide or choose from some of our most popular chemicals:
- Use a systemic herbicide, such as Shoreline Defense, will work to kill the root of the plant.
- Use a broad spectrum contact herbicide, such as Ultra PondWeed Defense, will quickly kill water lettuce. Because it does not stay in the water body, multiple treatments may be needed throughout the season.
- Use KnockDown Defense, a fast and selective herbicide that controls tough invasive and nuisance aquatic plants.
Chemical Application Best Practices
Anytime you use chemicals treat weeds and algae, please keep in mind the following:
- Treat your pond in sections. Treat only half the pond's surface at a time. During hot weather or when treating heavy growth, it is important to treat no more than 1/4 of your pond at a time and wait the full 14 days before re-applying. This helps lower the risk of fish loss during hot weather or when treating heavy growth.
- Once the weeds have browned, use a rake to remove as much dead material as possible. This prevents an accumulation of dead plant material and muck.
- Take a proactive approach to pond management. Use PondClear, MuckAway and Pond Dye to keep your pond looking great. For more information, see our article on the Airmax Ecosystem.
Ask an Expert
If you are unable to identify your pond weed(s) using our Weed ID Guide, follow this article to email us a photo.