Water Lettuce is a non-native, perennial plant. It is free floating with green, velvety leaves. The leaves range in size from 1" - 6".
There are several options to control Water Lettuce.
- Use a systemic herbicide, such as Shoreline Defense®, will work to kill the root of the plant.
- Use a broad spectrum contact herbicide, such as Ultra PondWeed Defense®, will quickly kill water lettuce. Because it does not stay in the water body, multiple treatments may be needed throughout the season.
- Use Clipper™, a fast and selective herbicide that controls tough invasive and nuisance aquatic plants.
Chemical Application Best Practices
Anytime you use chemicals treat weeds and algae, please keep in mind the following:
- Treat your pond in sections. Treat only half the pond's surface at a time. During hot weather or when treating heavy growth, it is important to treat no more than ¼ of your pond at a time and wait the full 14 days before re-applying. This helps lower the risk of fish loss during hot weather or when treating heavy growth.
- Once the weeds have browned, use a rake to remove as much dead material as possible. This prevents an accumulation of dead plant material and muck.
- Take a proactive approach to pond management. Use PondClear™, MuckAway™ and Pond Dye to keep your pond looking great. For more information, see our article on the Airmax® Ecosystem™
Ask an Expert
If you are unable to identify your pond weed(s) using our Weed ID Guide, follow this article to email us a photo.