When it comes to aeration kits, finding the right fit is key. Properly sized aeration units will infuse oxygen into the pond, circulate water, and help create a balanced ecosystem. Your fish will be happier and healthier, and you will have reduced excess organic material in your pond – meaning fewer nutrients to fuel algae growth. When selecting an aeration kit, here are a few things to consider:
1. Size – Aeration kits need to be capable of circulating the volume of water in the pond. If you do not know your pond size offhand, you will have to determine your length, width, and maximum depth. Multiply L X W X (0.5 x D) to calculate the cubic feet in your pond. Water gardens are typically measured in gallons, so you will then need to multiply cubic feet by 7.48 (the number of gallons in 1 cubic foot). If your water garden has multiple ponds or is irregularly shaped, calculate the gallons for smaller sections of the pond and add those values together to obtain your total pond size.
2. Depth – Water garden aeration kits feature diaphragm compressors that are energy-efficient but can wear prematurely if operated in depths greater than recommended. When selecting a system, make sure you know what your maximum depth is and if in doubt, double-check before buying.
3. Shape – Waterfalls cascading into multiple ponds or irregularly shaped water gardens can add beauty to your backyard landscape, but it can also limit the circulation of oxygenated water. For ponds like this, aeration kits with multiple air stones or diffuser plates your best bet to ensure that your water is moving properly.
Now that you have gathered your pond information, let's take a look at what options are available to choose from.
- CrystalClear PondAir Aeration Kit: Available in two sizes, the PondAir Aeration Kits are an excellent option for ponds up to 2,000 gallons and less than 2' deep. These systems feature 2 or 4 air stones and an airflow regulator. To give your unit some extra protection from the elements, consider covering it with a TrueRock Mini Boulder Cover.
- The Pond Guy Water PondAerator: A perfect option for the mid-sized pond up to 4,000 gallons and 4' deep. The Pond Guy Pond Aerator has a diffuser plate with a single diffuser stick and include weighted airline. The compressor size is larger than that of the PondAir, so we recommend using the TrueRock Small Boulder Cover with this system.
- CrystalClear KoiAir Aeration Kit: Designed for ponds up to 16,000 gallons and 4' deep. The KoiAir Aeration Kits are available with 1 or 2 diffuser plates and have 2 diffuser sticks per plate. Similar to The Pond Guy Pond Aerator, these units include weighted airline and the compressor can be covered by the TrueRock Small Boulder Cover.
- Something bigger? For water gardens over 16,000 gallons or more than 4', Airmax offers larger aeration systems to fit your needs. The Shallow Water Series Aeration Systems are designed for ponds up to 6' deep and half an acre. The larger Airmax systems feature a cabinet designed to protect the compressor and can be used even when power source is up to 1,000' from the pond's edge.
When deciding on a system, we are here to help. If you have any questions, please give us a call at 866-766-3435 or email us at PondHelp@ThePondGuy.com.