When the sun goes down, fish and plants both use dissolved oxygen in your pond water. Aeration systems ensure oxygen levels stay high day and night to keep your fish and plants happy, and your pond ecosystem balanced. Subsurface aeration, like The Pond Guy Pond Aerator, works from the bottom up, circulating the water and infusing oxygen into the pond. If you do not already have an aeration system, here are six great reasons why you should consider adding aeration into your pond.
- Limitations of Water Features – Most water gardens rely solely on waterfalls, fountains, or spitters to circulate and aerate the water. These units can be effective; however, they are only adding oxygen to the top portions of the water. This leaves many areas of the pond, especially the bottom, untouched allowing for the accumulation of organic debris. Using a properly sized aerator, like the CrystalClear PondAir or KoiAir Aeration Kits, starts moving the water at the bottom of the pond, allowing for improved circulation and dissolved oxygen levels.
- Beneficial Bacteria – Like your fish, beneficial bacteria are aerobic and need oxygen to survive. These bacteria consume the excess nutrients in your pond which act as fertilizer for algae growth. Aeration makes these bacteria work harder to clean up your pond leading to a cleaner pond with less build-up in the water column or at the bottom of the pond – which is something your fish will thank you for.
- Winter Water Quality – Though your fish and filtration system goes dormant for the winter, the organic debris will continue to decompose and release gas into the water column. When ice is formed completely over the pond, the gasses become trapped, replacing the oxygen, and leading to a fatal situation for your fish. Heaters and de-icers keep a hole open in the ice to allow for ventilation, but they are not able to circulate the pond to move those gasses out. In comes aeration, providing a continual supply of oxygen. Additionally, moving all that water also helps to discourage ice formation, which means that you can use a smaller wattage de-icer and reduce your energy costs.
- Saves Money – Aeration systems are energy-efficient and can help you cut down on your energy bill. These systems are designed to run 24/7, yet only cost a few bucks per month. Rather than running a costly waterfall pump all the time, use it only when you are there to enjoy it and rely on a properly sized aeration system to keep the dissolved oxygen levels raised. This small change is not only better for your fish but can save you hundreds of dollars each year.
- Reduced Maintenance – In conjunction with proper filtration, adding aeration will keep your pond cleaner longer. This means you can spend more time relaxing around your pond rather than cleaning it.
- Fish Love It – Your fish will gather around and enjoy the bubbles coming from the diffusers. With all the benefits that an aeration system can provide, you pond will become a balanced ecosystem that will make any fish happy.
For tips on how to select the correctly sized aeration kit, please check out our article How to Choose an Aeration Kit or give us a call at 866-766-3435.