Water features are a popular addition to backyards everywhere. Perhaps you noticed a neighbor's pond during an evening walk, helped a friend install a disappearing fountain, or saw them on your favorite DIY show. Water gardens and decorative features bring many benefits to your outdoor living space. Here are just a few to consider:
- The Serenity of Flowing Water: Whether you are in an urban courtyard or suburban neighborhood, moving water will give you a sense of privacy by masking noises and allowing you to listen to the tranquil sounds of water flowing over a waterfall or stream.
- A Home Investment: With changes in economic tides, many have been trading vacations for "staycations," and are looking for ways to build on their biggest investment – their home. Building a water feature is the perfect way for homeowners to create a relaxing space, while adding value to a home.
- Personalization: Water features come in all shapes and sizes, allowing you to express your personal design style. Options include ponds, pondless waterfalls, disappearing fountains, container water gardens, and any combination in between. No matter what size space you have, there is sure to be an option that will fit your landscape and budget.
- Wildlife Retreat: Water is the base of life, so humans and animals are naturally drawn toward water. Wild birds, dragonflies, turtles, squirrels, butterflies, and frogs will enjoy your new outdoor addition. When designing your pond, think about ways to include food and shelter options for these critters. This will provide them with a habitat in your backyard that will both entertain and build into the overall ecosystem.
- A Hobby to Grow with You: Pond keeping is definitely a learning experience. As you learn more about the technical aspects of maintaining water quality, keeping koi, and managing your filter, your pond will improve and bring you more satisfaction as a hobbyist. With so many different options for water features to choose from, once you master one you can try your hand at another type.
- Cheaper than Therapy: After a long day at the office, there is nothing better than sitting alongside your pond with your feet up, feeding your koi, or appreciating the bloom on your aquatic plants.
These examples are just the beginning of the benefits that a water feature can add to your yard. With so many options to choose from, you will be sure to find the one that is the perfect fit. Whether you start with a simple plug-and-play water feature for your patio or follow the "go big or go home" motto and build a something to rival Niagara Falls, once you begin your new hobby, you will be hooked!