At the end of the day, there is nothing more relaxing than sitting outside with your favorite beverage listening to the sound of water moving over your water fall or watching your fish dart between your flowering lilies. Water features are a great way to personalize your outdoor living space while providing a place that your local wildlife will love.
Determining which type of water feature you will have is the first step in designing your backyard haven. Before you bust out the heavy equipment, take a moment to ponder these questions.
- What is your budget? Consider how much you would like to spend. In most cases, the larger the feature the more expensive the cost. Once you have an idea of your budget, check out our pond kits to see which will be the right fit for you or give us a call if you have questions. If you are looking for something a on a larger scale, call a pond-building professional in your area to help you design your perfect oasis.
- How much space do you have? Take a realistic look at your yard and think about how you can blend a water garden or fountain into the existing landscape. If you have a sprawling backyard with room to build, consider going big with a pond that is 2,000 gallons or more. For those with limited land, pondless waterfalls or container water gardens are the way to go.
- Who is coming for a visit? If you have young children or grandchildren running around the backyard, a waterfall without an open body of water may be the ideal choice. Pondless waterfalls allow you to enjoy the sound of running water without the potential danger. Perhaps, however, you want the pond to be open so your water-loving dog has a place to play, you can test your green-thumb with something new, or find a new hobby in fish-keeping. If that is the case, opt for the AllClear Ecosystem Pond Kit.
- Do you need a professional? You do not have to be a DIY champion to make your water garden dreams come true. Kits provide everything you will need to get your pond or water feature up and running. All our kits include complete and easy to follow instructions, but if you prefer something visual, check out the videos on the webpages for RapidFlo Ecosystem Pond Kit or the Cascading Falls Pondless Kit for some expert tips.
- How much maintenance time do you have? Pondless waterfalls are the lower maintenance option and great for those who just want a place to sit back and relax. But, pondless waterfalls have fewer features than a water garden. If you like to garden, feed your finned friends, or spending time tinkering outdoors then a pond has a lot more to offer you.
- Can I have both? If you cannot decide or like aspects of pond and pondless features, combine them to get a feature that is as unique as yourself – you are only limited by your imagination! A great example of combining these into one functional display is to have an elevated pond that cascades down into a pondless waterfall. Think of this as a pondless waterfall with a pond in the middle. Combining allows you to enjoy fish and plants while keeping the water out of reach from small children. Start with a pond kit then add the extra Pond Liner, Pond Underlayment, and a Liner Seaming Kit to complete the project.